Water Safety Tips
Water is everywhere! Water is fun! Water is dangerous too!
Caregivers need to take the right precautions and watch children at ALL times.
Don’t Leave Kids Alone in or Around Water
- Never leave your child unattended around water. We know it sounds strict, but there is no room for compromise on this one. Babies can drown in as little as one inch of water.
- Put the cell phone away, forget about all the other things you have to do and give young children 100 percent of your attention when they are near or around water.
- When using inflatable or portable pools, remember to empty them immediately after use. Store them upside down and out of children’s reach. These types of pools can pose a drowning risk.
Remove Water From Tubs and Buckets After Use
- Once bath time is over, immediately drain the tub.
- Empty all tubs, buckets, containers and wading pools immediately after use. Store them upside down and out of children’s reach.
Close Lids and Doors
- Keep toilet lids closed and use toilet seat locks to prevent drowning.
- Keep doors to bathrooms and laundry rooms closed.
- Parents have a million things to do, but learning CPR should be on the top of the list. It will give you tremendous peace of mind – and the more peace of mind you have as a parent, the better.